The primary mission of Lighthouse Prison Ministries can be summed up by the words of our Lord in Luke 4:18: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because He hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.” We believe that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only message that can permanently transform individuals and provide the strength and character needed to lead a productive life. The Bible says that “if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things become new.” (II Corinthians 5:17 )
Our message is the unadulterated grace of God. (Ephesians 2:8-9) We believe the gospel is gloriously simple and simply glorious as stated by our Lord in John 3:16 and by Paul in Romans 1:16. We teach the absolute sufficiency of the Scriptures to meet every need of man (II Timothy 3:16).
Our Lord has commanded us to go into all the world and proclaim the wonderful message of the gospel. (Matthew 28:19, Mark 16:15) Ministry in the Texas prison system is unique not only in the U.S. but throughout the world as well. Not only is it one of the largest in the world, but its population literally represents the world mission field. There are a large number from such countries as Mexico, Central America, South America, Africa, and Asia. When people talk of sending missionaries to the world and having a world vision for their church they can look to the Texas prison system and know they have seen the mission field.
There are four aspects of ministry that Lighthouse Prison Ministries will focus on:
• Evangelism – This will be done both by one on one from cell to cell as well as in the various services held. Our goal is always to share the plan of salvation in a clear and thorough manner.
• Discipleship – The Scriptures declare that God “will have all men to be saved and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” Here we see the importance of not only leading an individual to salvation but also training him in the truths of the Word of God. Truth is the only thing that will set one free. (John 8:32) Our goal is to thoroughly equip a man or woman to live a victorious Christian life upon release and to train those who might feel called to minister to other both here in the U.S. or the country they are from.
• Aftercare – The need to minister within the prison walls is only exceeded by the need to care for converts upon release. The state programs are failing miserably and good men often get discouraged and fall due to lack of accountability upon release. Our goal is to have housing for men called “cities of refuge” where they can come and stay in a structured environment and continue their growth in Christ and make other preparations to re-enter society.
We must all remember that today’s inmate is tomorrow’s neighbor. Lighthouse Prison Ministries cannot be effective without your help. Never has the harvest field been whiter and the prospects brighter. Please consider helping us in one of three areas:
• By prayer – Please add us to your prayer list and pray for the Lord’s hand to be upon us as we minister and for ministry needs to be met.
• By support – Please consider having a part by supporting us on a monthly basis. The return on your investment in this ministry will be eternal and you will be systematically informed of the fruit of your giving.
• By sharing the vision with others – Please let others know of Lighthouse Prison Ministries and of the work God is doing in lives of men and women.